Saturday, February 21, 2009

Brasserie PIP

Located in Ivoryton.

Certainly not a brasserie strictly defined, but that's quibbling.
PIP, attached to the much-lauded Copper Beech Inn, is the little brother to the main dining room.

The Inn is a typically nice, moderately upscale New England Inn.

Nice dining in a nice atmosphere.
Not formal, but not too casual either.

This was our first visit to the Copper Beech, but we will most assuredly return.

As it was Valentine's Day, we were offered the $75 4 course prix fixe menu.
Though, as my wife pointed out, calling it 4 courses may have been a bit cheeky, as the second course was a one-bite palate cleanser.
But, again, that's quibbling.

Service was prompt, courteous and knowledgeable throughout the evening.

We ordered the Sancerre Sauvignon Blanc.
I know next to nothing about wines, but this was excellent. Bright, crisp, fruity. Just lovely.

On offer for starters were Wellfleet Oysters, Squash Bisque, Arugula Salad, and Sear Foie Gras.
My wife chose the bisque, I the foie gras.

My wife enjoyed the bisque, and it was tasty, but the curried pumpkin was a bit much for me.
The seared foie gras, served with a pistachio tuile, pickled apples, blackberry jam and french toast, was excellent. It melted in the mouth.

Three one bites were offered. I chose the picked beets with goat cheese, my wife the blood orange bellini.
Both were on point. Especially the beets. Beets are a vastly underrated, underused ingredient.
So, the next time you see beets on a menu, try them.

Next up where the entrees. We decided on the Roasted Chicken with carmelized onion-cheddar bread pudding, royal trumpet mushrooms and mustard jus; and Organic Salmon with a cider-bacon braised cabbage, and smoked potatoes.

My fish was excellent, perfectly cooked, and slightly sweet from the honey-mustard glaze. The cabbage was also good, but the potatoes fell short as I tasted no smoke.
The chicken was good, though not the best we've had, but we both appreciated the bread pudding effort, which was also nice.

For dessert I chose the lemon tart as I love all things lemon, and my wife chose the brown butter chocolate cake.
My wife lodged the minor complaint that her cake was a bit dry, but other than this, both were very good. The creme fraiche ice cream served with my tart was a nice touch.

All in all, a very nice evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment